Friday, February 13, 2009

Book Club

A friend of mine started a book club a few months back and although I was too busy being pregnant, having a baby and then dealing with a new born to read the first book, I did succeed in reading the second.

Our second book choice was Eat Pray Love by Elizabeth Gilbert

I was more than a little apprehensive to read this book, I thought it would be way more religious than I was interested in reading. But I decided to give it a go - the reason I joined a book club was to push myself into reading books I would not normally read.

I was more than pleasantly surprised at this book. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would highly recommend it.

Here is a brief synopsis written by The New Yorker:

At the age of thirty-one, Gilbert moved with her husband to the suburbs of New York and began trying to get pregnant, only to realize that she wanted neither a child nor a husband. Three years later, after a protracted divorce, she embarked on a yearlong trip of recovery, with three main stops: Rome, for pleasure (mostly gustatory, with a special emphasis on gelato); an ashram outside of Mumbai, for spiritual searching; and Bali, for "balancing." These destinations are all on the beaten track, but Gilbert's exuberance and her self-deprecating humor enliven the proceedings: recalling the first time she attempted to speak directly to God, she says, "It was all I could do to stop myself from saying, 'I've always been a big fan of your work.'"

No comments: