Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Becoming a Mom

Quite a few people have asked me how I like being a Mom so far.

Do I feel like a Mom? I don’t know – what is a Mom suppose to feel like?

Do I wake up in the middle of the night when she is crying? Yes and no – if Adam is on duty, then no, but this can be attributed to a number of things – first I think part of my sleeping brain knows that Adam is on duty and he is more than capable of handling any situation that will arise, also if he is on duty then that means the baby monitor sitting on my night stand is not on – specifically to allow me to get some sleep. But, when I am on duty – I will wake up before the actual crying starts (thankfully it takes her a while to wake up and starts with little baby noises).

Do I think about how she is doing when I leave the house without her? Again – that depends, I usually think about how Adam is doing, is she crying the whole time, is he getting frustrated? But there have been plenty of times when I don’t think about her – our Friday night date – before the conversation came around to her – no – I did not; it was nice to be out with my husband and talk about / think about other things.

But as I watched TV yesterday and today and continued to follow the tragic events at Virginia Tech – I could now start to imagine what the parents of children killed were going through. A level of fear and sorrow that I think until you are a parent, you can’t imagine; and as I gaze upon her innocent sleeping face, I realize that I would throw myself in front of any gunman to save her.

So far, I would have to say I don’t really feel like a Mom – but when will that happen? When she says Mama for the first time? When I do my first over night away from her and realize that I just have to call and see how she is doing? (Well, I wanted to do that when we left the dog for the first time??)

So do I like being a Mom? I would have to say yes – I love my little girl, I think she is the most beautiful baby in the world (I think every Mom thinks that about their kids – so in that respect I feel like a Mom). I love that I get to share this incredible experience of becoming a parent with Adam

I think I have come to the conclusion that you become a Mom or Dad by title only when the baby is born, but you become a Mom or Dad by true definition by how you react and respond to you new responsibility.eat HHea

No comments: