Friday, January 15, 2010

Book Review - Icy Sparks


Icy Sparks is a book about a girl ‘Icy Sparks’, growing up in a small Kentucky town in the mid 1950’s. At the age of ten it happens for the first time. The sudden itching, the pressure squeezing her skull, and the "little invisible rubber bands" attached to her eyelids are all symptoms of Tourette's syndrome. At this point, of course, Icy doesn't yet have a name for these unsettling impulses. But whenever they become too much to resist, she runs down to her grandparents' root cellar, and there she gives in, croaking, jerking, cursing, and popping her eyes. Nicknamed the "frog child" by her classmates, Icy soon becomes "a little girl who had to keep all of her compulsions inside." Only a brief confinement at the Bluegrass State Hospital persuades her that there are actually children more "different" than she.

I really liked this book – it is a book club choice and did not think I would like it as much as I actually did. Part of the reason I love being in a book club, it makes me read books I would not normally pick up by myself, and I find I really liked the book.

On a rating out of 5 stars, I would give this one a 3 ½. Definitely worth the read, but not necessarily worthy of “YOU MUST BUY THIS BOOK RIGHT NOW” status.

No comments: