Monday, November 10, 2008

How are we doing?

So far things are going quite well. After having Anderson, we “won” the postpartum lottery and got a private room. Yes, for all you Calgary Moms, you know how lucky we are; for those of you that have not been down this path before or are not from Calgary, here is some info for you:
2007 – 16 000 babies were born in 3 hospitals in Calgary
Every year the Rockyview Hospital (the one we used) delivers 700 more babies than it did the year before.
August 2008 – Rockyview delivered 609 babies – 20 babies a day (there are only 35 beds in postpartum).

Needless to say, there is a crazy baby boom going on in Calgary and it has been happening for quite some time – we consider ourselves very lucky that for both births we have had a relatively good experience.

This one was even better – the timing of when Anderson arrived could not have been better, out by 9:15 – he and I were both sleeping by 2.
The first night went well, Adam was sent home (Calgary Health Region has this crazy policy of no support people i.e. Dad’s, staying the night with the new Mom and baby in postpartum); Anderson blessed me though with 4 ½ hours – this allowed me to get some sleep, but not as much as I wanted – unfortunately the baby down the hallway did not give his Mother and the rest of us the same gift.

Everyone told me it is much easier with the second – and they are so true. He does not scare me as much as Jackie did. I know how to hold him, I can confidently change a diaper (when Jackie arrive I had not changed a diaper in at least 15 years if not longer) and the crying does not stress me out this time.

I am feeling great! Last time I ended up with a blood infection, so this severely delayed my recovery time but yesterday we all went for a walk to Starbucks – something I could not do until week 4 with Jackie. Plus, Jackie did not settle a nicely as Anderson does – this means more sleep and less stress.

Breast feeding – last time I tried and it did not workout – this time I have been working at it and it is coming along – we are not completely through the woods yet, but Anderson and I are working on it. He is the slowest eater ever. He likes to snack and fall asleep – so this means, lots of undressing and changing diapers to wake him back up to finish his meal.

I have quickly fallen in love with me new little man – my favourite part are his eyes. It is hard to get a picture right now to show you, but he has these beautiful deep blue eyes.

1 comment:

Jocelyn said...

Glad to hear you're doing okay. Breastfeeding didn't work out for me the first time either. If you're still have troubles, there are a couple breastfeeding clinics that can help. I'm glad to hear Jackie's adjusting well. I was fortunate enough to also get a private room post-partum. It was really nice. Looking forward to more updates.