Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Chicken Jalfrezi

Chicken Jalfrezi

1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast portions
1 TBSP oil
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 onion, finely diced
1 green bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
3/4 inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and minced, or 1 1/2 tsp pureed bottled ginger
1 -2 tsp red curry paste (I used Thai Kitchen brand)
1/4 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1 - 398ml can diced tomatoes
2 TBSP chopped fresh cilantro

Cut the chicken into 1/2 - 1 inch pieces and set aside.

Heat oil in a large heavy pan, add the cumin seeds and fry for about 2 minutes until they splutter.  Add the onion, peppers and ginger, cook over medium high heat for 6-8 minutes, add the garlic for the last minute.

Add the curry paste and fry for about 2 minutes.  Stir in the chili powder, ground coriander, cumin and salt, add 1 TBSP water; fry for a further 2 minutes.

Add the chicken cubes and fry for about 5 minutes.  Ad dthe canned tomatoes and chopped cilantro.  Cover the pan with a thigh fitting lid and cook for about 15 minutes or until the chicken cubes are tender. 

Serve over hot rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.

Serves 4.


My Notes:
This recipe is from a book I got for Christmas simply called "Indian".  I made a few modifications to the original, but really liked how it turned out so this is what I posted.
Adam and I really, rally liked this recipe, the flavours were amazing, and it was just the right amount of heat, add more, or not to your liking.

If you are looking for Cumin seeds, I found mine at Superstore - the only package they had was 400g - let's jsut say I have TONS left, if you live near me and want to make this, let me know and I will bring you a baggie with some cumin seeds.

No comments: