Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Product Review: French Onion Soup

Adam LOVES French Onion Soup!
So for Christmas this year, he got some Epicure French Onion Soup Mix packages in his stocking (last year he got the bowls for Christmas).
You see sometimes I just do not have the time to make it, and he is not so inclined either, so for a quick fix, I thought this would do the trick.

Product review #1
Product: Epicure's French Onion Soup Mix.
Source: Friend's Epicure party
Servings: 4
Cost: $3.95

I thought it would be great, I love everything Epicure does.

Here is where I should have paid attention:

Off their website:
French onion soup in restaurants can contain as much as 1450 mg of sodium per serving. Save almost 690 mg sodium per serving with Epicure’s version, PLUS there’s no hydrogenated fats in the mix!

Adam will eat ANYTHING!  But this - he actually dumped it down the sink!  Before it even made it to the bowl.  As we were cooking it - and tasting, we quickly realized this was horrible.  And when I say horrible, I mean HORRIBLE.
It tasted like there was no salt what-so-ever! 

My rating: 0 out of 5.
So that failed.

Product review #2

(note: the above picture is not the box I bought, the box from Costco looks a little bit different and has 6 servings instead of 2)

Product: Plats du Chef French Onion Soup
Source: Costco
Servings: 6
Cost: $12.95

I picked this up based on a recommendation from a co-worker.  These are cook from frozen.  They have instructions for cooking in the microwave or the conventional oven.  My co-worker told me the microwave method turned out sub-par results.

So we tried these on the weekend, in the oven it takes 40 minutes at 400 F.  A little on the long side, but still no where near as long as making French Onion Soup from scratch.

These were quite good.  A little too salty for me, but when is FOS not salty?
This is a great option for anyone craving a nice hot bowl of French Onion Soup, but not willing or able to put the effort in to making it from scratch yourself.

My rating: 3 1/2 out of 5.

NOTE:  I paid for both items and was not asked to review by either company.

No comments: