Monday, February 12, 2007

Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins


Cinnamon Doughnut Muffins

This morning I got to leave for work a little late, I had the home builders come by for our 6 month walk through and someone else come by to fix some Brutis induced carpet damage - this happened just after we moved in, but have not gotten around to getting it fixed until now. But just because I might be leaving early does not mean the dog knows how to sleep in, so that left me with a few hours things morning - so baking filled my time slot.

I have been meaning to make these for a while but never got around to it. I don't know why I waited - they are amazing. I didn't get a chance to eat mine warm, but I can imagine they are even better that way.

1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg -- lightly beaten
3/4 cup milk
Jam of your choice

TOPPING:
1/4 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon

In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Next combine sugar, oil, egg, and milk; stir into dry ingredients just until moistened. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups half full; place 1 tsp jam on top. Cover jam with enough batter to fill muffin cups 3/4 full.

Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until muffins test done.
Place melted butter in a small bowl; combine sugar and cinnamon in another bowl. Immediately after removing muffins from the oven, brush top of muffins with butter and sprinkle with cinnamon-sugar mixture.

Serve warm.

I made a double batch and only got 18 large muffins - next time I would make them a little bit smaller, so a single batch should yield 12 muffins.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

kimberley said...

These are the best muffins!! Just got done baking them. I didn't put enough butter on the tops (got a little distracted with Lyla)...just something to tweak for the next time:). Thanks for sharing!!