Sunday, February 11, 2007

Manhattan Clam Chowder

I am not the biggest fan of the classic New England Clam Chowder - maybe I just love tomatoes too much - but this is the best recipe I have found for Manhattan Clam Chowder. This weekend I made a quadruple batch. I needed enough to serve Blake and Karen Sunday for dinner, and was able to put 2 large containers in the freezer for meals during baby time.



Manhattan Clam Chowder

1 ½ tsp vegetable oil
½ cup chopped onion
½ cup sliced celery
½ cup sliced carrot
½ cup diced potatoes
1 (540 ml) can whole tomatoes in juice
1 (142 g) can baby clams
1 cup water
2 tbsp tomato paste
1 tbsp parsley flakes
1/8 tsp thyme
¼ tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper

In a 3 quart pan heat oil over medium heat; add onion. Cook 2 to 3 minutes until transparent. Add celery, carrot, and potato; cook. Stir often until tender. Add tomatoes and clams with juice. Add the remaining ingredients. Stir until blended. Simmer 25 minutes or until vegetable are tender.

No comments: