Monday, July 5, 2010

On My Nightstand - The Castaways




The Castaways by Elin Hilderbrand

I missed last week because I was still reading my previous book (Last Night in Twisted River). But I managed to finished that one on Tuesday and Wednesday I started this book.

On the back cover:
With rumors of infidelity straining Greg and Tess MacAvoy’s marriage, the couple head out on their sailboat one early summer day to celebrate their wedding anniversary, hoping the roughest waters are behind them. But in an accident off Nantucket, they mysteriously drown, leaving behind two small children as well as the three couples who have long been their closest friends. Tragedy brings to the surface long simmering conflicts and emotions, and the MacAvoy’s six grieving friends find themselves unprepared for the revelation of secret upon secret as they struggle to answer the question: What happened to Greg and Tess?
The Castaways probes the boundaries of friendship and forgiveness as it tells a page-turning story of passion, betrayal, and suspense.

My take:
The first thing I would do for this book is change the cover – the cover was very misleading along with the title. I thought this would be a book about a couple who everyone thought died, but in fact they were castaways.
The title however describes the group 8 friends (4 couples), the couple really does die. Had I known this before I think I would have enjoyed the book a bit more.

It was okay – not great, but a good beach read. Light, easy to read, although the subject matter is a bit heavy (a couple dying, leaving behind not only 2 kids but a whole group of friends) the way it is written it does not seem as heavy.


I would rate this book a 3 out of 5

No comments: