Thursday, July 8, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp

I was given some rhubarb from a co-worker about a week ago, and with great plans to make a pie, but no time, then great plans to make a crisp, but a hubby who is eating very healthy now and there is no way I could eat it all myself, I decided I would make it for my co-workers.

Since I work in an appliances store and we have a live kitchen, I decided to make it all the night before, but bake it the next day at work.

Having never tried this specific recipe before I was not sure how it would turn out – but WOW!

This is a definite keeper – people were begging for more and many were disappointment they missed out.

There is no picture – there was no time – I was scraping the bottom of the dish in literally 5 minutes.

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp
Source: Epicurious with a few little changes

Topping
½ cup old-fashioned oats
½ cup all purpose flour
½ cup (packed) brown sugar
1/3 cup slivered almonds
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
¼ tsp salt
6 tbsp chilled butter, cut into ½ inch cubes

Filling
5 cups ½ inch-thick slices fresh rhubarb (about 2 pounds)
2 cups chopped strawberries
¾ cup sugar
½ cup orange juice
2 tbsp all purpose flour
1 tbsp grated orange peel
½ tsp ground cardamom
¼ tsp ground nutmeg

For topping:
Mix first 6 ingredients in mediums bowl. Add butter; rub in with fingertip until moise clumbs form.

For filling:
Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine all ingredients in large bowl; stir to blend. Let stand until juices form, about 15 minutes.
Put into 8x8 casserole dish and sprinkle topping evenly over mixture. Bake until topping is golden brown and crisp and filling is bubbling thickly around edges, about 45 minutes. Serve warm with ice cream.

2 comments:

kimberley said...

love the new background!!!

a friend gave me two rhubarb plants this past spring, and i was so excited to use it in my baking over the summer, and now we're gone for 3 months:(...looks like i'll have to save your recipe for next summer:).

Starr Mercer said...

Going to have to try this one...the new property we just purchased has fresh rhubarb!