Monday, July 12, 2010

On My Nightstand - What the Dead Know


What the Dead Know - by Laura Lippman
On the back cover:
Thirty years ago, the two Bethany sisters, ages 11 and 15 disappeared from a Baltimore shopping mall. They never returned, their bodies were never found, and only painful questions remain.

How do you kidnap two girls from a busy mall on a Saturday afternoon without leaving behind a single clue of witness?

Now, decades later, in the aftermath of a rush-house hit and run accident, a clearly disoriented woman is claiming to be Heather, the younger Bethany sister. Not a shred of evidence supports her story, and every lead she reluctantly offers takes the police to another dead end – a dying, incoherent man; a razed house; a missing grave.

But there is something she knows about the terrible day… and about a family that disintegrated long ago, torn apart by an unthinkable tragedy and the fissures it revealed in a seemingly perfect household.

My take:
I just finished this book last night so here is my review:
In the category of mystery / suspense thriller – this is a very slow moving book. Yes it is a mystery and I really did want to know then end, but it did not grab me like I thought it would after hearing about it and reading the back cover.
There are some predictable parts, a few twists, but there are also a few hard to believe parts.

My rating: 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments: