Thursday, October 7, 2010

Project Health

I have been spending a decent amount of time reading different blogs and talking to people about the foods we consume.

Now I am a HUGE fan of everything salty, chocolate I could live without - but salt, if they stopped making potato chips, I am sure I would be sneaking into farms and stealing the cows salt licks.

But as my children are growing, I am starting to think more and more about the example we are setting, and how I want them to treat food.

I have posted pictures before of me baking with the kids, I am a firm believer in getting them involved. Letting them take some ownership in the food we are eating and why not start them in the kitchen early.

How many professional athletes say "I was skating (golfing - whatever) at the age of 3". Well, my kids are going to be able to say - "I was in the kitchen cooking and baking with my Mom as soon as I could stand, well before my second birthday."

So, in an effort to be the example in our house - I am trying to think more about my choices - that does not mean they are all still going to be good, but I am starting.

(Honestly - I am typing this while drinking a can of A&W Root Beer.) Ooops.

Dinner last night - using the crock pot I made pulled pork sandwiches, just the pork, some water and BBQ sauce. Then served it with diced tomato and cucumber - tossed in Greek salad dressing.
(Pork served on whole grain buns.)

Super yummy - and way healthier than opening a box.

No comments: