Monday, November 22, 2010

Homemade Bread

This weekend I decided to make some bread.  It has been a long time since I have made bread at home and I realized how much I miss it.

The bread turned out great, but the recipe I used was weird.  The timing on everything was way off compared to the recipe, so I will wait to share it with you all until I make it again and can nail down the timing.



Jackie helping with the punch down.

What amazes me is the ingredient list, take a look at what is in my regular store bought brown bread and compare it to my ingredient list.
Store bought bread ingredient list:
Whole grain whole wheat flour, water, yeast, sugar, glucose-fructose, wheat gluten, canola or soybean oil, salt, vinegar, acetylated tartaric acid esters of mono- and digycerides, calcium propionate, sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate, monoglycerides, sorbic acid.

My bread ingredient list:
Whole wheat flour, water, powdered milk, brown sugar, canola oil, yeast, salt

I am not planning on making all our bread now, but I am going to make an effort to make more of our own bread, especially now that it is winter and we are inside so much more - besides - who does not like the smell of bread baking?

1 comment:

Karalee said...

looks yummy! I've started venturing into the bread making too. Mostly I make pizza crusts and homemade pizza pockets, which the boys are crazy for! I was shocked too when I looked at the ingredients on the store bought stuff. I'm thinking about getting a breadmaker off Kijiji, so I we can have homemade bread more often with less effort.