Thursday, November 18, 2010

Snow + Traffic

Well I feel like I have to say something, I don't want to, but I feel like I have to.

A picture taken of an intersection on my drive home last night

I have tried very hard not to complain, you see back in September I decided to try and be more positive - I stopped complaining about most things that are out of my control - specifically the weather.

And for the last 2 days, I have done very little complaining, but here is where I feel like I need to say something.

Is it just me, or does it feel like Calgary is just realizing they are a winter city and they actually need to have a plan when it comes to snow removal?

I know the city has put more money into snow removal this year, I know they are all talking about it, I know this is a major complaint every year and with every big dump of snow - but seriously - Calgary - get it together already.

I lived in Winnipeg for a year, so I went through a winter there - and let me tell you - not only do they get WAY more snow, the snow does not melt there - no Chinooks.
Winnipeg has it together in their snow removal - why can't Calgary sent a few people there to learn from them and implement some changes here.

Here is what happens in Winnipeg:
  1. You are not allowed to park cars on most roads from November until April (I think it was April - can't quite remember).
  2. The city clears not only the major roads, but all the residential roads (hence the no parking on the street law), they also clear the back alleys (so people have a way to get their cars into their parking spots, and then they also clear the city sidewalk infront of your house.
  3. The best thing they do, is no snow plow goes out alone - they are always in teams - staggered to clear an entire road at the same time.
It is funny - I lived in Winnipeg over 8 years ago - and yesterday I heard on the radio someone talking about how Calgary was implementing this great NEW way to clear roads - multiple snowplows - staggered to clear the whole road at once.  Hmm - NEW

Okay - rant over - cheers to Calgarians slowing down and not having anywhere near as many accidents as past years!

I will now suck it up and until I am willing to become a city alderman and actually do something about my issue, I will keep my mouth, turn back to being positive - and drive slowly.

On a positive note - the kids are loving the snow!

No comments: