Tuesday, November 23, 2010

On My Nightstand - Sarah's Key

Sarah's Key - by Tatiana De Rosnay

I came across this book in the summer, read the back cover on-line and it gave me shivers.  I immediately said - there is no way I can read that book.  But I was fascinated, I kept coming back to it.
Finally I gave in an picked it up.
It took me a while to get to it (shivers still), but WOW, am I glad I finally read it.

This is a wonderful, amazing book. 
Incredibly sad considering the content, but so well written, so well told.

I really liked this book.

On the back cover:
Paris, July 1942: Sarah, a ten-year-old girl is taken with her parents by the French police as they go door-to-door arresting Jewish families in the middle of the night.  Desperate to protect her younger brother, Sarah locks him in a bedroom cupboard - their secret hiding place - and promises to come back for him as soon as they are released.

Sixty Years Later: Sarah's story intertwines with that of Julia Jarmond, an American journalist investigating the roundup.  In her research, Julia stumbles onto a trail of secrets that link her to Sarah, and to questions about her own romantic future.

My rating: 4 1/2 our of 5.

No comments: