Thursday, November 18, 2010

Swimming Success!

I am happy to report success last night in Jackie's swimming lessons.

As I posted two weeks ago, she did not have a good class, and neither did Anderson - we pulled Anderson out of his class - he was way too old to be playing baby games, did not want to be held , he just wanted to do his own thing.

Jackie - was terrified, so for the second class, we decided to send her with Adam - but this time Adam would be dressed to go into the pool with her.  That did not work out so well - I think she got her big toe wet and that is it.

So - last night was class number 3.  I took her - drove on those crazy, crappy roads, got into my bathing suit - and got to the pool - and she freaked out.

But there was no way I was going to give up - after battling traffic and bad roads to get there - so we pushed through (we are the only ones that actually came for that class).

Michael, the swimming instructor was trying to tell me how to deal with her, suggesting I leave the pool - let her work it out on her own - but I knew it would be even worse if I did (I did some of my own research on dealing with shy kids).

What we did however, was have her join an older class that had a female swimming instructor - and it worked!

She slowly started to join the class and I slowly started to back away from the class.  By the end, I was sitting on a bench - out of the pool and she waved to me.

It was definitely a proud Mommy moment as I was finally able to sit back and watch her.

Let's hope next week starts out better but ends the same way!

No comments: